In this post we are going to learn about Google tag manager (GTM). What is Google tag manager, what are its benefits and how we can install it on our website.
Google Tag Manager is a free tool available online with the help of which you can manage and deploy all the codes of a website without modifying it. It is also known as Google Tag Management system because all the marketing codes are stored in one place.
Marketing tags or codes are Google Analytics, Facebook pixels, Google AdWords or other third party tracking tools used by users.
Benefits of using GTM:
- Website speed of working will increase.
- No more dependency on developer will be required.
- Another benefit is when you work for big agency you usually don’t have access to server in that case you tend to connect with agency manager who again connects with its developer who puts the code on server which at last is verified by you. So, in short it involves a big and complicated process which is removed easily by the use of Google Tag Manager.
Disadvantage of not using GTM:
- Website speed will decrease.
- This will increase the loading time of your website.
- There will be unnecessary presence of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Facebook pixels etc on your website page.
How to Google Tag Manager works?
It acts as a mediator between data sources like between users website and marketing codes ( Google analytics, Google AdWords and etc). Website sends data to Google Tag Manager and Google Tag Manager sends data to marketing codes .
Structure of Google Tag Manager:
There is a Google Tag Manager Account including Container as its part.
Container is a combination of 3 elements:
- Tags – It’s a snippet code like java script or html code
- Triggers – It’s a condition or filter , It tells to GTM when or how to fire a tag .
- Variables – It receives and stores the information to be used by tags and triggers.
How to install Google Tag Manager?
By following basic steps you can easily install Google Tag Manager.
Step-1 : Create account
Go to tagmanager.google.com and login through your Gmail account. Click on Create Account.
Fill in the page with required information.
- Give the name if the account like your name etc.
- Select country
- Put container value like websites URL
- Select web
- Click create button
Step-2 : Get GTM code
Google Tag Manager terms of service agreement page opens. Select Terms and conditions and then click Yes. After this you will receive 2 codes. One for the header and another for body.
Step-3 : Upload code on website
You can put the codes at the starting and end of header and body of website pages. Go to your website. Press Ctrl + U, Code page opens. You can see the Header and the Body code where you applied them.
Follow the post for website in WordPress – How to Install Google Tag Manager in Your WordPress Website
Step-4: Publish version in GTM
Go to Install Google Tag Manager box. Select ok. and Click submit button and publish the version.
Step-5 : Check Code is working or Not
There are two ways to check whether google tag manger is properly working or not. one is preview mode and second is Google tag assistant.
Go to google tag manager dashboard and click the preview button
Now open the website in same browser.
Now, click to leave preview mode.
Finally, Google Tag Manager is installed on your website, and working properly. Hope this post will be very helpful for you.